Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Dallas Real Estate- First SW Mall Demolished

Big Town Mall in Mesquite started demolition, but it was just a procedure as the mall has been dead for years. Me? I say, "Where the heck is Big Town? I've never heard of it!" I've been here for 22 years and never heard of Big Town Mall.

It was the first in the Southwest to be fully enclosed and air conditioned and opened in 1959. It was fourth in the country. It was apparently over 77 acres and even had a small amusement park for the kids, but again, I say, what's Big Town?

Big Town, since all stores had pulled out by about 2001, was actually a staging area for Katrina victims. It was also in the movie True Stories in 1986, yet another movie I've never heard of.

I guess I never heard of this mall because the main mall in Mesquite opened in 1971 only 5 miles from Big Town. Town East Mall is a huge mall and traffic around there is horrible day in and day out.

Oh well, we have WAY TOO many malls in the Dallas area, and just like Prestonwood Mall, which was an icon, they all need to go at some point.

2 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Donna Harris, REALTORĀ® said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home