Friday, September 08, 2006

Dallas Real Estate- Don't Use Nations Residential Services

Don’t EVER use Nations Residential Service for your home warranty company! They are only a Texas based company, so this won’t affect many of you, but I know there are tons of people across the country who are buying investment properties in Dallas and much of Texas, so this will effect you.

I have been a big proponent of Nations for several years. Many of my own buyers and sellers have put this coverage on their homes. Over the years, I would get calls or emails every once in a while from one of my clients saying how they called Nations, but their claim was denied and they had to pay this and that. I just shrugged it off saying I’m sure they had a reason for denying the claim… WRONG!!

I have had Nations on my personal house since I bought it last July ‘05. First, the garbage disposal goes out, but it’s a Saturday, and the warranty is only good during weekdays, so unless we wanted to not use our kitchen sink for 3 days, we had to go buy a new disposal ourselves. Second, our garage door opener stopped working, bad gear. I have the Preferred Package with the Upgrade Package and the upgrade package covers garage doors... oh, but the upgrade package actually only covers the garage door if you also have the basic garage door coverage. That is complete BS! Why would I need to pay extra for an upgrade package to cover something when it’s not even covered in that package?

Third, our AC goes out mid-July. It went from a 16 degree differential down to a 4 degree differential. I call Nations, they send someone out, they fill the unit with Freon, wrap duct tape around a hose thingy and say it’s fine. At that time, my husband pressed the technician for an explanation of needing to add so much Freon. The tech’s response was that he was only topping it off, though he added quite a bit, and that it’s quite common to need to add Freon every once in awhile. Fourth thing that happens is a month ago, a few days before the warranty expires, one of the water heaters is acting up, so we call Nations again. This time, they say it’s an improper install of the water heater so they can’t cover it, but they’ll gladly charge us over $800 to fix it. We asked what he meant by improper install, and he says it’s installed per city code and city ordinances, but it’s not installed per home warranty standards… WHAT?!

At that time, we let the warranty lapse and did not renew it because of the bad experiences. Two days ago, we call Nations and tell them that the AC was not fixed when their people were out 6 weeks ago. After getting the differential back up to 16 degrees, just 6 weeks ago, it’s now back down to 10 degrees. Can you say leak?? The same people came and looked at it and confirmed there’s a leak. Will Nations cover it? NO! They claim since we don’t currently have coverage, there is nothing they can do. Oh, YES, there is!! They can warrant the work of the AC company they sent out here. By the way, the company is now denying adding Freon so they’re saying there was no leak when they were here 6 weeks ago. How can you go from 16 degrees, down to 4 degrees, back up to 16, and now back down to 10 without there being a leak, Freon being added, and yet that same Freon leaking back out?

The basis of this blog is to make sure no one else falls into the trap of Nations Residential Services! This is posted on two of my blogs; this will be emailed to the news media; this will be sent to the president of Nations, to their sales rep, to the BBB, and also to our attorney.

DON’T EVER USE NATIONS RESIDENTIAL SERVICES!!!

8 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your clients tell you something and you dismiss their words. What else do you not listen to, that they may be telling you?

 
At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rather than pleading you case to the masses that you were wronged, why not file suit instead? Prove that you are right and they are wrong in a court of law. Then you can rightly claim that the company didn't honor their obligation. As it is, you are just slamming a company without them having the opportunity to defend themselves. Are you trying to pressure them into treating you preferentially because you have a bully pulpit, or do you truly feel they have breached their contract? Go convince a judge first, and then come back and warn us about the company that you won a judgement against.

 
At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps the warranty was written in "RealtorSpeak" and was misleading.

Does your policy begin with:

WOW!!!A fantastic home warranty, only available for a short time, so don't miss out. SO affordable, everyone can have coverage......

You, as a real estate professional, should have actually read and understood what you were purchasing before signing on the dotted line....Hmmm....sound familiar?

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Donna Harris, REALTOR® said...

It's interesting that everyone has decided to stay "anonymous." Afraid to have your name out there?

I know exactly what I signed and I signed a one year home warranty to cover particular items in my home. I also know that when they came out 6 weeks ago, they MASKED the problem knowing the warranty was going to expire so they wouldn't have to fix it. The service company is just as much at fault as the warranty company.

And, yes, our attorney will have wind of this next week.

Oh, and I never dismiss the words of my clients. I told each and every one of them that if they felt their claim should have been covered, that they needed to call and talk with a manager or superviser type person. None of them wanted to persue anything, and that's their fault, not mine. I represent my clients to the fullest, but thanks for your concern for them.

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Over the years, I would get calls or emails every once in a while from one of my clients saying how they called Nations, but their claim was denied and they had to pay this and that. I just shrugged it off saying I’m sure they had a reason for denying the claim…"

Nice customer service. Or does your customer service stop once you cash your commission check?

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I didn't read the comments before I put mine in.

"I told each and every one of them that if they felt their claim should have been covered, that they needed to call and talk with a manager or superviser type person. None of them wanted to persue anything, and that's their fault, not mine."

Have you ever stopped to think that if YOU made the call you might have been able to fix YOUR clients problem? As a REALTOR that recommends warranty companies, you actually carry some weight with them, more so than a single policy holder. I've done it several times for my clients. Here's how it works.

"Hi, Mike Erickson here. I recommend your company all the time to my clients. On of them is having a little problem with a claim...."

You'd be amazed how well that works, and it takes all of five minutes. Much more client service focused than saying, "deal with it yourself. If you chose not to that's your fault not mine."

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Afraid to post my name and email?....hardly....not used to your blog software which requires some kind of account which I'm not interested in...

My name is Stanley Hammer
My email is hammer7629@gmail.com

I posted the comment...Perhaps the warranty was written in "RealtorSpeak" and was misleading......

YOU, of all people, who espouse your expertise and offer advice to us lowly sellers and buyers should know how to be a RESPONSIBLE home owner. That's my point.....

How smart was not being familiar with your warranty?
How smart was it to not get your service work documented?

Now that I am "out of the shadows", does that make my comments any more or less pertinent?
Does someone who posts anonymous have less credibility in your book?

Inquiring minds want to know....LOL

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same bad feeling regarding their service, I scheduled an appointment with the plumbing company they assigned, nobody showed up on the appointment day and no call from plumbing company.

I called them to change another plumbing company, they keep refusing my request for ridiculous reasons. The customer service is rude too.

I will not recommend this company to my friends for sure

 

Post a Comment

<< Home